Kirstyn’s Senior Year Playlist

May 19, 2021

The class of 2021 is so close to being done with their time in high school. As these last few days wrap up, I thought it would be interesting to make a playlist of songs that could describe my Senior year. So, as I list these songs, I will give some insight as to why they matter to me. Enjoy!

Wish You Were Here- Incubus: 

• There are several points I can make to describe why this song fits my year. Firstly, Incubus is one of my favorite bands of all time. I listen to the band semi-frequently, and their music has been in my life for a long time. Secondly, I spent the first half of the school year missing the seniors from the year before, wishing they could come back. I missed my best friend Izik that I made over the summer; since I was in school and he had graduated, I didn’t get to see him for several months. I was wishing that I was still a Junior and that I got closure to the end of that year. It didn’t dawn upon me until I submitted my enrollment deposit to the college of my choice that I was in fact a senior, and that graduation is in close proximity. The next thing that I can say about this song is that I spent most of my time wishing my friend Joey was spending the year with me. I was stuck in bad friendships, and he was completing his freshman year of college at home. Thankfully, after a long awaited time, I got both Joey and Izik back into my life, and I had to come to terms with graduation nearing. 

Shy Away- Twenty One Pilots:

• No matter how much I want to push this fact away, Twenty One Pilots was the biggest musical part of my time in high school. I started listening to the band my Sophomore year and didn’t stop until the summer of my Junior year. Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun went on a three-year hiatus, until they released a few singles. Shy Away, however, was a song released at the beginning of April, and it was unlike any of their other music. When I listened to it for the first time, tears left my eyes. I could see color emerging from my speakers as if the song had some sort of dye attached. The song not only sounds good, but it relates to me in the way that Tyler Joseph is telling the audience to not shy away. He is instructing the listener on how to find their own purpose in life. The song as a whole talks about how the only thing tougher than trying to find your own purpose is watching someone you love try to find their own purpose. I love this song extremely, and it meant a lot to me when Tyler released a song that I could genuinely relate to. 

Where is my Mind- Pixies:

• This one is pretty self-explanatory. For almost the entire school year, I didn’t feel grounded. I barely felt connected to anyone. I wentthrough an extremely rough mental time at the beginning of the second semester, and I had no idea how to help myself. To make it simple, I had no idea where my mind was. I couldn’t read or remember things or write heavy material like I usually can. This song represents the times of the year when I was lost in myself and in my own thoughts.

What I Got- Sublime:

• This year, I went through way too much stress. After months and months of me trying to figure out who I am and how I relate to theworld around me, I realized that it doesn’t do any good to be mean to people. If you make an effort to be mean, it will just cause more stress and drama in your life. The sad thing is, I wasn’t even the person being mean. Instead of retaliating, I those who were treating me wrongly with kindness. Learning how to not take people’s actions harshly has made my life so much better; love is what I have for people. No matter what happens in your life, it still moves on. It won’t wait for you to stop and look at it. I love the crazy things that make my life what it is and what makes me who I am.

Ain’t no Sunshine- Bill Withers:

• To put it plainly, there has not been very much sunshine this year. The winter was awful, and in recent days, it’s been raining non-stop. Personally, I thrive when the sky is blue, the air is warm, and the sun is out. In another aspect of this song, I was extremely melancholic when I couldn’t see my friend Izik. I felt like there were some parts of my life that were dull. I didn’t know if we would ever be able to see each other again, or if our friendship would be the same after the time we spent apart. Thankfully, that did not happen. 

Sink Into the Floor- Feng Suave

• Feng Suave is one of my favorite bands of all time. While this song is not my favorite out of their discography, it was the first song that I heard by this artist. During the fall, I would drive to work and school and have this song on repeat. I loved this song probably more than I should have. In some aspects I don’t relate to the words, but in others I do. When I dissociate from reality, I feel what the words are saying. In addition, the overall sound of this song and band reflects who I am as a person in a way that I can’t describe.

Better Than Me- The Brobecks

• There was a large portion of the school year where I felt like everyone really was better than me. In show choir, I was incessantly=scolded for doing things differently than the rest of the group; I didn’t have a support system, even when I thought I did. It can be a terrible place to be in when you are convinced that everyone is better than me. I learned this year that no one is inherently better than the other. We are all average people. I have people that I love and cherish deeply, but I know that they have flaws and that they have their bad days. In a verse of the song, Dallon Weekes talks about how he hates the person that “gives” him advice, but he still goes to that person because he thinks that they are better. I understand that concept entirely.

Otherside- Red Hot Chili Peppers 

• =This song represents the month of the year when I was slipping from everything around me. Every day I would try and get through, just to be one step closer to the other side. This year, as stated before, was ridiculously hard for me. I got through it though, and I’m happy where I am now. I made it to the other side.

Somebody That I Used to Know- Gotye

• One of the biggest things that I learned this year is that to do what’s best for yourself, you have to let some people go. When they are doing nothing for you, when they are only causing you pain, let them go. You can’t idealize them. There was a person this year that I was extremely close to, and as time went on, I had no idea who they were. Even though I am not upset about it now, there were a few weeks of me being completely bitter towards the other person. The words of this song sum up how I felt in those weeks. 

Save Me- Remy Zero

• There is nothing more that I wanted this year than for all of my issues to be magically taken away. Unfortunately, life doesn’t work like that. I was hoping that someone would tell me what to do to make my life better, but that never happened. Instead of somebody actually saving me, I saved myself. It was probably the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but I did it. I saved myself.