Humans Of Sheridan: Addyson Boyer

March 4, 2021

Addyson getting ready to compete bars

Addyson Boyer is a Senior at Sheridan High school and is apart of the high school gymnastics team and cheer leading.

Addyson began her career with mommy and me classes at All Starz Gymnastics in Thornville when she was 18 months old. However, she did not start competing until she was 6 years old.

When she was younger she also played softball, but it did not last very long with how time consuming gymnastics was. After softball ended she only did gymnastics. That is up until she was a Junior, then she wanted to try something new and step out of her comfort zone. So she decided to try out for cheer leading and said “It was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.”

In women’s gymnastics there are 4 events. Addyson says her favorite event is beam and has been since she was little. “Being so tall makes all the other events so much harder, and beam is just more fun than the other events.”

Addyson with her cheer coach and her friend Brooklyn Frame

Freshmen year Addyson broke her ankle while doing club gymnastics. Her body just couldn’t handle the strain of club gymnastics, so she decided to quit club. However, she still loved the sport so she decided to join high school gymnastics due to the fact that it is much less demanding.

The hardest thing she has overcome in gymnastics was when she broke her back junior year. She says that she didn’t know if she’d be able to make a come back for her senior season. However, she was able to overcome her injury and compete.

Addyson says that her happiest moment in gymnastics was when she got her first score of 9 out of 10 at districts. Then she placed 5th and booked a trip to state for beam on individual day.

Addyson competing beam at districts

Gymnastics has taught Addyson how to be dedicated and patient. It has also taught her how to manage her time wisely and get her priorities straight. The sport has shaped her into who she is today. She says, “You have to work hard to get anywhere in life, even if you aren’t naturally talented in what you’re doing.”