New York City

December 5, 2019

We woke up at 3:45 am, packed the car and made our way to the airport. Once we made it to the John Glenn International airport, we checked our bags and went through security. Our flight departed at 7:15 so we decided to eat breakfast at Eddie George’s grille 27. Once we ate and waited at the gate for a while, it was finally time to board the plane. The flight was about two hours, so we landed at Newark Liberty international airport, around 9 am.

(left) view of New York City from the Staten island ferry, (right) wall street (Clare Finck)

Once we got off the plane we had to hop on a train and take it to Grand Central Station in New York City. Next, we had to navigate our way on the subway, which was a lot more difficult than I thought it was going to be. After a long morning of travel we finally made it to our hotel, The Pearl, at around 11. However, we did not waste any time. We dropped our luggage off and headed straight to the Staten Island ferry. We took the ferry out past the Statue of Liberty to the island and then back as well. As we made our way back to the subway, we came across the world trade center, 9/11 memorial, and Wall Street.

(left) Bleeker Street Pizza (right) The West Village (Clare Finck)

Afterwards we decided to explore. We ended up finding this place called the West Village. It was full of mini boutiques, but nothing like the ones in Perry county, these were full of couture clothing, handmade purses, and jewelry. After exploring for about an hour we found a pizza place call Bleeker Street

(top left) Rockefeller Tree (top right) Saks Fifth Avenue (bottom left) Times Square (bottom right) lobby at The Pearl Hotel (Clare Finck)

Pizza. While looking at the options we met the owner of the restaurant, he gave us a postcards of the place and even let us hold one of the giant pizzas to get a picture with. After we were full we made our way to see the Rockefeller tree, it was incredible. From there we went into Saks Fifth Avenue, it was so pretty, full of translucent glass,and had so many clothes. Making our way back to the hotel we found a Chinese restaurant in the middle of Times Square, so we decided to stop and eat, it was by far the best Chinese food I have ever had. After enjoying our delicious food, we finally made it back to the hotel at around eight and went straight to bed.

December 6, 2019

The next day we awoke around six in order to eat breakfast and give ourselves plenty of time to navigate our way to the empire state building. When you first walk in it, it is exactly like the scene from the Christmas movie “ELF”, when he goes to find his father. It was then time to take the elevator up all 102 floors to the show room at the top. The show room was incredible and terrifying all at the same time. You could see the entire city, however, it was extremely high up. Our next stop was to view the Macy’s famous window

(top left) New York City from the 102 floor of the Empire State building (top right) Radio City Music Hall (bottom left) Central Park (bottom right) The MET

displays, they were extremely creative. My mom then surprised me with tickets to see the Rockettes which are in Radio City Music Hall. Next, we tried to find our way through central park, which was almost impossible due to how big it was, but somehow we found ourselves on the upper west side. Which is where the show Gossip Girl takes place. Next, we found The Metropolitan Museum of Art (The MET). It was fascinating being able to see all of the ancient artifacts, and the structures were incredible. Our last stop of the day before dinner was Chinatown. This was an interesting place, there are people all over the streets trying to sell you anything imaginable, along with a lot of little shops where nothing has a price because you have to negotiate with the owner. Once we made our purchases in China town we made our way to dinner. We ate at The Terrace in times square, the restaurant was on the top floor of a hotel in the middle of times square, therefore, it was hard to find but it was beautiful.

December 7, 2019

(left) farmers market in Central Park (right) Flying out of New York City

Our last say in New York City. We woke up early again in order to make it to the farmers market in Central Park. So we packed up our stuff and left it at the front desk. The farmers market was huge and had any food that you could imagine. Then it was time to head to the airport. So we went back to the hotel, picked up our stuff and took the subway one last time to get to the airport.

Having the opportunity to visit New York City was amazing. I never thought that I would enjoy being in a big city as much as I did. I would definitely love to travel there again someday.