The Shooting of Breonna Taylor

Breonna Taylor

Breonna Taylor

Breonna Taylor, a 26 year old woman, was shot when officers entered her flat on March 13th during a drug search and investigation. Police targeted Taylor’s apartment with a “no-knock” search warrant after midnight.  May 1st police report shows the reason for the initial investigation was for Ms. Taylor’s link to a narcotics drug run. Police used a “battering ram” to break open Taylor’s door, her boyfriend Kenneth Walker fired a shot shooting a police officer, Jonathan Mattingly. Brett Hankison, a detective at the time, fired into the sliding glass patio door and window of Ms. Taylor’s apartment, both of which were covered with blinds, in violation of a department policy that requires officers to have a line of sight before a shot can be fired.

Ms. Taylor and her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, had been in bed but got up when they heard a loud banging at the door. Mr. Walker said he and Ms. Taylor both called out, asking who was at the door. Mr. Walker later told the police he feared it was Ms. Taylor’s ex-boyfriend trying to break into their home. The police continued into the house and 10 shots were blindly shot into Ms. Taylor’s home. After Ms. Taylor was shot it wasn’t until five minutes after that the police realized she was seriously wounded. Mr. walker called 911 not knowing who was in the house still saying, “I don’t understand what’s happening, I’m scared, bring medical help.” The Jefferson County coroner told The Courier Journal that Ms. Taylor most likely died less than a minute after she was shot having no chance to be saved.

Louisville police arrest 64 people during Breonna Taylor protest
Hundreds protest Breonna Taylor’s death

Later that night the drug search still continued and there was no drugs found at Ms. Taylor’s home.

Ms. Taylor worked for the University of Louisville Health as a full time ER technician. She spent loads of time with her friends and family when she wasn’t at work. Taylor often proposed a round of her favorite card games, Phase 10 and Skip-Bo. She became very close with her aunt,  Tahasha Holloway, they spent time together as much as possible, Halloway called her “mini me”. Halloway said she had big dreams, and was very good at what she did.

For months, Ms. Taylor’s family has pleaded for justice, pushing for criminal charges against the officers. Ms. Taylor’s case began to draw national attention in May, and she has since been the center of campaigns from several celebrities and athletes, some dedicated their seasons to keeping a spot light on her case. In September, Louisville officials agreed to pay $12 million to settle the wrongful death brought by Ms. Taylor’s mother and to present reforms aimed at preventing future deaths by officers. Protesters are still chanting Ms. Taylor’s name, it will never be forgotten.