Is the High School Musical Series Worth the Hype? (Spoilers)

Tim Federle

High School Musical: The Musical: The Series was released November 8, 2019 on Disney+. This series is a tv show – unlike its movie counterparts. The setting is still in East high school but we are introduced to brand new characters.

All the drama begins when our main character, Nini – who loves theater – attends an acting camp over summer. Before she leaves however, Nini tells her boyfriend, Ricky, she loves him.  Ricky does not see this coming and proceeds to freak out claiming  they need to take a “pause”.  The miscommunication is only realized later as Nini thought that break meant they are done for good.

When school starts back up, Nini has found herself a new boyfriend, E. J. When Ricky finds out it is clear that he is not taking it well. He says, “The one person I got to for advice is currently on her honeymoon in the cafeteria” it proves the love that he felt towards Nini. To make matters worse, Ricky finds out Nini and her boyfriend are auditioning for the the musical. It didn’t take Ricky long to come up with the bright idea to audition for the lead Troy Bolten. However, the real shock came once the cast list was posted, EJ was not cast as Troy, the lead had been given to Ricky.

Once rehearsals started, Nini found herself growing more and more upset that her exboyfriend was playing her costar in her first big production. Ricky, on the other hand, believes that he will be able to win Nini back by stepping out of his comfort zone and portaying Troy. As the two began to spend more and more time together, E. J. begins to get jealous of Ricky and EJ begins to act out.This leads to   a fight between the couple; Ricky takes this as his moment to shine.

The show hits a bumpy road, when the drama room goes down in flames. The cast are therefore pushed to make the best of what they have. The stage, the costumes, the characters, everything comes together the day of the production, allowing everyone to put on the show the audience was hoping for.

Lauren Piester

When I first started the show, I thought it was going to be a waste of time but boy I was wrong! I would highly recommend this series to anyone – especially kids that grew up on the original movies. With the show being a musical one might expect the singing to be overwhelming and overused. However, this was not the case. – which in my opinion is a plus since breaking out into song  and dance every 5 seconds gets old. The whole cast was full of talented actors, and they definitely can sing. Just like Riley Ortiz says, “This show is a high school drama with such emotion, depth, and amazing acting, but could also keep  your attention till the last episode.” Overall I would give it 5 out of 5 stars.

Disney+