Social Media (Cons)

Back to Article
Back to Article

Social Media (Cons)

These are just a few examples of all the social media apps that people have to chose from.

marketing land

marketing land

marketing land

Social media originated in 1997, so it is still fairly new. It can be a very dangerous and unhealthy place for people to be. People of almost every age use social media, and it has become an everyday lifestyle. It, in turn, can have many negative effects on your life. From cyber bullying to personality and brain disorders.

Cazzie David says, “It’s so funny how social media was just this fun thing, and now it’s this monster that consumes so many lives.” For high school students, this couldn’t be truer. Social media is harmful because you can find anything on there. It is where much unneeded high school drama is started. People can put anything they want on social media; that’s how most of the rumors and online bullying are started. This is something that most teenagers do not think about, they just put whatever they want on there and rarely think about the consequences.

This type of behavior often leads to states of depression for those that are impacted in a negative way. Nearly 43% of kids have been bullied online. This makes them two to nine times more likely to consider committing suicide. Another effect is FOMO (fear of missing out). This is pretty self-explanatory, it is when you are scared of missing out on a fun experience, so they tend to get on social media more. Erin Bury says “Don’t say anything online that you wouldn’t want [to be] plastered on a billboard with your face on it.”

45% of high school students spend most of their time on their social media accounts. This means that students who are constantly on their phones and social media tend to have lower grades.  We all know that as teenagers, we need as much sleep as possible. Lack of sleep can lead to many negative effects such as mood swings, low tolerance of others, and all out grumpiness. One of the main causes of sleep deprivation is social media.  We can get so distracted and we lose track of the time and end up staying up all night.

All these factors above lead to most people not having the high school experience that they should have. For most people, their high school experience is filled with judgement and always trying to meet other peoples standards. All this needs to change. People deserve to have a great high school experience, they need to be able to express themselves and not have to worry about what everyone else around them thinks.

This is an example of how attached you can get to social media.