Filed under A&E, Entertainment

Four Great Animated Series Everyone Should Know

Back to Article
Back to Article

You may be thinking, “how can a cartoon be for adults” or “aren’t cartoons just for kids,” but I’m here to tell you that you’re completely wrong. Animation is an entertainment form that everyone can enjoy. There are specific genres of animation that are made for kids, but the other side of the spectrum is present and gracefully titled: mature. Of course, there are the classics that everyone knows; The Cleveland Brown ShowFamily Guy, and South Park. If, like me, you’re looking for something new, you’ve come to the right place.

1.) Rick and Morty

Rick and Morty is an eccentric, sci-fi comedy that follows the adventures of Rick Sanchez and his grandson Morty (both voiced by Justin Roiland) through the multiverse after he was missing for twenty years. Jerry Smith (Chris Parnell), Morty’s dad, disapproves of Morty missing so much school as a result of Rick’s return while Beth Smith (Sarah Chalke), Morty’s mom, is just happy to have her father back. Rick and Morty started as an animated short by co-creator Justin Roiland that trolled Back to the Future featuring Doc Smith and Marthi McDonalds. The series is filled with so many mysteries that it practically begs fans to take a deeper look into the episodes. If you enjoy dark themes, an immersive environment, surprisingly relatable characters, twists, theories, breaking the fourth wall, and raunchy humor that can be just stupid at times, then this is the show for you.

Rick and Morty created by Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland

2.) Archer

Archer follows Sterling Archer (H. Jon Benjamin) through his life of a secret agent working at International Secret Intelligence Service (ISIS), the agency his mother Malory (Jessica Walter) operates. On top of the mountain of mommy issues he has, he’s working with his ex-girlfriend, Lana (Aisha Tyler). The series description isn’t much but there is so much more to Archer than meets the new. Each character provides a new personality and emotions, the main cast includes the wimpy accountant Cyril (Chris Parnell), head of human resources Pam (Amber Nash), scientist Krieger (Lucky Yates), and secretary Cheryl (Judy Greer). Archer is a spy movie spoof that became so much more. The real reason to watch this series- apart from the ever-pleasing animation, are the ridiculous antics, dark jokes, and raunchy scenes it presents.

Archer created by Adam Reed

3.) Disenchantment

If you enjoyed Futurama, then you’ll love Matt Groening’s new show Disenchantment, a medieval fantasy series set in the Kingdom of Dreamland. The show is centered around princess Bean; a bad-ass, fun-loving woman not wanting to be tamed by anyone, who is understandably upset when her father tells her about an arranged marriage. While trying to get out of the marriage, she meets an elf named Elfo (Nat Faxon) and a demon named Luci (Eric André) who guide her through her adventures. Disenchantment is not only a fun show to watch, but it is also quite progressive. Later in the series, you are introduced to a homosexual couple and talks about mental health, saying not everyone needs to be happy all the time. One of the best parts about the series is the extensive setting and interesting characters throughout including King Zøg (John DiMaggio), Sorcerio (Billy West), and Odval (Maurice Lamarche).

Disenchantment created by Matt Groening

4.) Big Mouth

Big Mouth is a cartoon about a group of preteens being ravaged by puberty. Andrew (John Mulaney) is the early bloomer who is first introduced to his hormone monster Maurice (Nick Kroll), a raunchy, hilarious being who acts as his inner demon 95% of the time. Each of the show’s characters have completely different experiences with puberty and the more you watch, the more you relate to all of them. Andrew’s best friend Nick (Nick Kroll) is a late bloomer, Jessi (Jessi Klein) is struggling with her parents poor relationship, Jay (Jason Mantzoukas) is strained by his family’s awkward relationship, and so many more. The themes shown in this seemingly innocent series include sexuality, body insecurities and consent. Apart from the honest look at puberty, Maurice and Connie (Maya Rudolph), Jessi’s hormone monstress, will leave you asking for more and why is this show allowed to be shown on Netflix at the same time. There really is no way to describe these two characters without just watching the show that will do them justice. This show has gotten the closest to how puberty really is with painfully honest episodes such as “Everybody Bleeds,” about Jessi getting her first period and “Am I Gay,” where Andrew questions his sexuality towards Nick. One of the reasons I think this series is as good as it is, is because all the stories are based on real events from the creators’ and casts’ lives. When you know the truth about this origination of these stories, it makes it so much more interesting to watch the series.

Big Mouth created by Nick Kroll, Andrew Goldberg, Mark Levin, and Jennifer Falckett

I feel that mature animated series don’t get enough credit for what they are. Because these shows are for an older audience, they are allowed to cover more realistic themes and topics. Recently, they have been more progressive and are approaching more accepting topics that all entertainment should use as an example. Topics like sexuality and mental health are brought up in a way that doesn’t feel like the audience is being lectured, but is being acknowledged. Animated series aimed for adults have a mix of class and no class at all. The humor can be dark or raunchy and then turn to downright stupid in under thirty seconds. Mature series deserve more love than they receive and I hope they continue to become more and more popular over time.