Filed under News and Opinion

Political or Childish?

Donald Trump began his presidential term on January 20 of 2017. In early 2018, he had shut down the government due to a U.S. Budget Bill not getting enough votes to pass, causing a dead end for the government. It shortly was in effect, and of course, did not last long. President Donald Trump kept his confidence at a high note, especially going into 2019, “Happy New Year to everyone, including the haters and the fake news media!”. 

Donald Trump has used Twitter multiple times to express his presidential opinions.

Everyone knew about Trump wanting to build a wall on the U.S. Mexico border to keep out illegal immigrants, but he really did not take that and run with it until the new year began. On December 21, 2018, Democrats opposed Donald Trump’s request of $5.6 million needed for the wall. The government immediately shut down the next day. President Trump is not upset that he had to shut down once again, he is actually proud to shut it down for our border security. The shutdown has impacted the lives of many federal workers to where they must do their job, but do not receive their pay. This has affected more than 800,000 people just in the departments of Agriculture, Justice, Commerce, Homeland Security, let alone others.                                                       

The essential workers are required to work with no pay, and others are put on temporary leave. However, Congress does approve back pay once workers started suing them for not being paid for the job. A complaint was filed on January 9 of this year by Albert Vieira on behalf of himself and all individuals who are facing these problems also. He is a Customs and Border Protection Officer who did not receive his pay for overtime on December 22, which was the start of the shutdown. The government failed to pay the overtime wages that started on December 23 and ended on January 5. Albert and his companions are still seeking the money that they are owed. The IRS has also stopped many of its own services. With everything that has stopped working, many people questioned still receiving their tax refunds. Many resources have said that despite the rumors, tax refunds will still be issued at normal times.

President Trump blames the Democrats, he wants them to make a deal with him that involves the funding of the wall, “I am in the White House waiting for the Democrats to come on over and make a deal on Border Security”, he wrote on his Twitter page. He has threatened to declare a National Emergency so the wall will be funded, but that’ll make a lot of legal challenges. He wants everyone to realize that he is not the only one who wants border security, like former president Barack Obama or former candidate Hillary Clinton.

President Trump uses words from others to express his opinion on border security.

The Democrats are still opposed to Trump’s $5.6 million funds needed for the wall. They believe that the wall is way too expensive and will be ineffective, “the wall and government shutdown has nothing to do with each other” many Democrats have stated. They’ve even gone as far as wanting to impeach him, which Trump has commented on his Twitter page on January 4th. “How do you impeach a president who has won perhaps the greatest election of all time, done nothing wrong (no Collusion with Russia, it was the Dems that colluded), had the most successful first 2 years of any president, and is the most popular Republican in party history 93%?”

President Trump has also commented on the funding of the California Forest Fires. He wrote on January 9th on Twitter, “Billions of dollars are sent to the state of California for forest fires that, with proper forest management, would never happen. Unless they get their act together, which is unlikely, I have ordered FEMA to send no more money. It is a disgraceful situation in lives and money!”

Northern California suffered many deaths due to one of the biggest wildfires in the world during 2018.

In conclusion, the government has been shut down for about 25 days as of January 11th. No meetings have been scheduled between the White House and Congressional Staff. However, each of them has looked at options beyond a National Emergency. John Cornyn, the Senate Republican from Texas, has stated that he will oppose the president from using the funds, expected for disaster use of about 14 billion in supplemental funds, for his wall. President Trump still urges Democrats to vote for the funds needed saying, “they can name it whatever, they can even name it peaches.”