Jonbenet Ramsey Case… Solved?

Young+Jonbenet+Ramsey+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Jonbenet Ramsey Case… Solved?

Young Jonbenet Ramsey

Young Jonbenet Ramsey

the mirror

Young Jonbenet Ramsey

the mirror

the mirror

Young Jonbenet Ramsey

On Thursday, January 10th of 2019, the Boulder Police Department in Boulder, Colorado stumbled across a letter one inmate was sending out to a friend. However, what the letter contained reopened a case that had gone cold many years ago. 54-year-old Gary Olivia, a convicted pedophile, had reportedly written “I never loved anyone like I did JonBenét and yet I let her slip and her head bashed in half and I watched her die. It was an accident. Please believe me. She was not like the other kids.” 

However, while he was a suspect in the original investigation after JonBenet Ramsey’s death in 1996, the Boulder Police Department has not taken much interest in the words written. They have reported that this is not the first time Olivia has spoken out about this. On the matter, a spokesperson for the Boulder Police Department has stated, “Over the history of this case, there have been a variety of people we have looked at for potential connections. Mr. Olivia is one of those people… But we’re currently not comfortable ruling anybody out as a suspect, or ruling anybody in as a suspect in the Ramsey case.” It has also been reported the Gary Olivia had made a phone call to an old high school friend on the night of the murder claiming to have “hurt a little girl”. It has been confirmed that Olivia lived near the Ramsey household and was in possession of a stun gun that matched the marks on JonBenet’s boy when it was found.

Washington Post
The Ramsey household

For those who do not know, in 1996, JonBenet Ramsey, a six-year-old beauty pageant contestant, was beaten and strangled in the basement of her Boulder, Colorado home. The case deemed a murder, sparked wide attention for the strange details within. First, and foremost, the fact that, after being reported missing, John Ramsey – JonBenet’s father – found her dead in the basement. On top of that, the ransom letter found on the scene was lengthy, hand-written, created on paper found within the home, and demanded the exact amount of John’s bonus from his employers. However, because of the Police Department’s poor job of keeping the evidence undisturbed and uncontaminated, the hunt for a killer became increasingly harder.

In 2006, an arrest was made do to a claim by a former schoolteacher after he allegedly confessed to the killing. However, after extensive investigation, it was determined that he could not be the killer for his DNA had not matched that which was found at the crime scene. From there on, the hunt for JonBenet’s killer continued. 

Like several other claims in the past, the note sent from Mr. Olivia may be just another cry for attention. However, there is yet to be any solid evidence against him, thus making it that much more of a possibility. 

wikipedia
Patsy Ramsey.

While there have been these kinds of cases reported, there is always the possibility that the killer was no one outside of the household. Many people have speculated that because of the oddities of the evidence, that a member of the household may have been responsible. However, to an extent, I feel that this is false. After listening to the panicked phone call from Patsy Ramsey on the day of the ‘kidnapping’, it is evident that she was not aware of what was happening. Though this may be overlooked if you take into consideration how unhelpful Patsy was to the police during the investigation.

All-in-all we may never truly know who killed the young JonBenet Ramsey. However, as time progresses and technology advances, there is still hope that this mystery will be solved. Hopefully, within the lifetime of those who knew the young Ramsey, a killer will be caught.