Art Therapy

Eileen Miller once said, “Art can permeate the very deepest part of us, where no words exist.” This quote explains the true meaning of art, and who knew that art was actually a form of therapy! Art therapy is a form of psychotherapy that encourages the use of painting, drawing, or modeling as a remedial activity or an aid to diagnosis. Something interesting is that art therapy has been around since 1940. At Sheridan High School we have a wide variety of art classes that students are able to enroll in. Mr. Gioffre, Sheridan’s art teacher, has a great influence on art and personally, I think he has made his classes feel like what art therapy would be like.

TImage result for art therapy pictureshroughout Sheridan High School, we are starting to see more and more art in the hallways, including the 24 character strengths pertaining to the Positivity Project. Each and every character strength is air brushed on the white brick walls. The bright colors and creative fonts make you want to look at each one, grabbing your attention. According to Carolyn Mehlomakulu, an art therapist, “Archetypal meaning for colors are universal. For example, blue is calming, green symbolizes growth in nature, and purple represents royalty. But personally, the colors can represent personal experiences and memories.” This could be a reason why one is attracted to a color by the way they are feeling.

color-meanings.gif (600×586)

Representation of colors in art therapy

Everyone has a sense of creativity and art inside them. All students are required to take some form of an art class, but most students do not know that this kind of class can be a stress reliever. Art classes and art therapy share some of the same benefits including improving communication skills and can provide a positive distraction from other things in life. Art is involved in everyday life and now we have something that can help us express our feelings and thoughts.