Filed under A&E, Features, School Life

Prom Budget

Prom+2019
Back to Article
Back to Article

Prom Budget

Prom 2019

Prom 2019

Prom 2019

Prom 2019

Group of kids enjoying prom.

Prom is told to be one of the most memorable nights of high school for juniors and seniors. There is so much excitement when getting ready and enjoying all the glamour, decorations, music, and food at prom. But there is one downside to prom, and that is how much money is spent for this one night. Teens are able to avoid over spending by making a budget.

As a student who is attending prom, there is a tremendous amount of time and money spent on the dresses and tuxes, corsages and boutonnieres, the transportation, and all other necessary accessories. Money is a big factor that pushes some students away from attending prom, but not the majority of students. As Julia Glum says, “According to a 2015 survey from Visa, American families were spending an average of about $919 on their prom-goers.”. While the years keep passing the price of accessories for prom keep increasing but this does not stop students from being there.

“PROM” neon sign

The decorations, food, and music create a good vibe for all the students attending, but prom would not be as enjoyable without all the work done by the Prom committee. This committee takes on a huge responsibility to prepare and make it memorable for everyone. The prom committee’s first struggle is making a budget and as Cassandra Morris says, “It’s important to know how much money you’ll need to pull off the event, and what your fundraising goal will be.”. On average a prom committee spends roughly $5,000-$8,000 on all prom expenses, which include the food, decorations, and the DJ. With all the work and preparations made by the prom committee, they are able to make this night memorable for everyone present.

Prom is the highlight of the year for most high school students but sometimes overspending can easily occur. The best way to prevent this is to make a budget that fits you and by the end of the night you have the most memorable prom.