Filed under News, News and Opinion

Should Assisted Suicide Be Legal?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Should Assisted Suicide Be Legal?

Assisted suicide is legal in 8 states including Oregon, Montana, District of Columbia, Vermont, Hawaii, California, Colorado, and Washington. When patients with life threatening illnesses are pronounced terminal, they have the option to make a ” formal oral request” to their doctor. Advocacy groups that work with terminal patients suggestImage result for assisted suicide pictures you should say something along the lines of, “Doctor, will you assist me in using Oregon’s Death With Dignity law?”. If you don’t get a response within 15 days you must submit another request; in some states you’re required to submit two forms. The doctor cannot prescribe you lethal drugs unless you’re 18 years or older, a citizen of one of the states that it is legal in, and have a disease that will kill you within the next six months. You also have to be able to make and communicate a clearheaded decision to your doctor.

The laws of assisted suicide change in some states. For example, in Oregon the physician must be a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy, licensed to practice medicine by the Board of Medical Examiners for the State of Oregon. The physician must also be willing to participate in the Act. In Vermont, only a doctor of medicine or osteopathy licensed to practice medicine in Washington may write this prescription. A physician, nurse, pharmacist, or other person is not to participate in the prescribing of a lethal dose of medication to a patient. Assisted suicides cost around 3,000 – 5,000 dollars for one dose of secobarbital. They are claimed to be pain-free, but are said to put the patient through trauma. This trauma occurs while they mentally prepare themselves for their assisted suicide.

Now the real question is, do you think assisted suicide should be legal in all states. In my opinion, I think that assisted suicide should be legal in all states. The laws of assisted suicide are very precise. I feel that if someone is suffering or if someone thinks that there is no point in living anymore,Image result for assisted suicide pictures then they should be allowed to make that decision for themselves. I also feel like it would be very difficult to live your life knowing that you’re going to pass away soon. When an individual is told they only have a short amount of time left to live, assisted suicide helps them get through the mental state of their disease.