Filed under A&E, Showcase

Book Review: The Hate U Give

The cover of the book. Picture courtesy of google.com

You may have heard of The Hate You Give recently on social media. No, it isn’t referring to some celebrity’s new boo, but instead a new movie that was created from a book written by Angie Thomas. This incredible book brings to light the dark underbelly of many African American communities. In this case, not being in a gang can be just as dangerous as being a member.

The book opens with Starr Carter: a black girl who is oscillating between two different worlds; the poor neighborhood where she has grown up and the rich suburban prep school that she attends. For me, the beginning of the book was a bit difficult to read because of the dialect used, but after a few pages I felt myself adjusting.

Seeing that the movie had come out before I read the book, I knew a few things that happened prior to my initial reading, so I didn’t have the same reactions to plot twists as the original readers. However, even knowing what was going to happen, it didn’t lessen the emotions that I went through as I experienced the writing of Angie Thomas.

Mrs. Yzenski’s “current reads” poster

The Hate U Give is chock full of wisdom about various affairs concerning the interactions between black citizens and police officers, so keep an open mind while reading. I would say this book is suitable for mature middle school students through high school, but anyone who wants to read it should definitely give it a try.

Throughout the entirety of this book I went through a whirlwind of emotions. I laughed, cried, was devastated, and even felt such animosity toward characters that it scared me. Woven into this book is a world that most of us will never experience. I can never fully comprehend the things that people in similar situations may go through, but this book has helped me exponentially and I completely, wholeheartedly recommend that anyone who wishes to read this inspiring novel.

If you haven’t caught the trailer yet, here’s the link to a video on YouTube, and if you are curious about reading this eye-opening book, head to this link to read a summary.