Filed under A&E, Showcase, Uncategorized

Ringing in Christmas

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ringing in Christmas

Every year at the start of November through Christmas Eve you can see red kettles with a smiling volunteer asking for a donation. These volunteers are out in the cold giving up time with their families around the holiday season to collect money for The Salvation Army. The Salvation Army is a Christian church whose mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. Those who volunteer believe that their faith calls them to get to work and meet the material and emotional needs of a person before they can minister to them spiritually. That explains why their worship and service centers double as places that offer social services and community programs for those in need. However, their services are available to anyone in need regardless of religion, beliefs, or lack of thereof.

When you put money in a red kettle you help to improve and save lives. The money that goes into a red kettle goes right back into your local community. In times of need such as disaster or crisis, The Salvation Army is often the first to arrive and last to leave. The Salvation Army provides services such as:

• Housing
  • Youth services
  • Rehabilitation
  • Counseling
  • Spiritual care

Bell Ringing Information to Get Started

Ringing a bell for 2 hours at a time can raise about $60 in donations. While anyone can become a bell ringer, children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Teens 16 and older do not need an adult present. When ringing a bell there should not be more than 5 people per kettle site because a large group could intimidate potential donors from approaching.

To become a bell ringer you must simply sign up for a date, time, and location that is convenient for you. A minimum shift is 2 hours, however they encourage that you take 4 hours. A kettle and bell will be at the location when you arrive. If there is already a ringer present just notify them that you are scheduled next and you’re there to take over for them. When it is your turn, just start ringing with a smile and wish shoppers a “Merry Christmas” and thank people for their donation. When you are finished with your shift just place the bell next to the kettle and leave. Volunteers are not responsible for standing guard over the kettle once their shift is over. If for some reason you must reschedule your ringing time you can call your local Salvation Army office at least 48 hours before your shift. If it is a last minute cancellation you can call the contact number listed on your confirmation email.

Related image

Becoming a bell ringer during the holidays is a great way to volunteer in the community. Giving up your time is just as beneficial as donating your money. Bundle up and remember what the Christmas season is all about. After your shift is finished I recommend warming up with a nice cup of coffee or hot chocolate. Get out and get ringing!