Filed under Features, Sports

The Generals: Playoff Bound

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Generals: Playoff Bound

Sheridan Generals Football is back where it’s always meant to be… Playoffs. The 2017 season for the Generals was a rebuilding year. With a 6 and 4 record on the season, it was not the type of year that we typically see from our stellar football program. The four losses were close as the total deficit was 21 points, that is roughly an average of 4.2 points. The returning Generals for the 2018 season were bound to have a major comeback and send a message to everyone in the MVL that this season belongs to the Generals. The Generals knew that this season they had an advantage as we had 20 returning lettermen.

The Generals focused on their offseason heavily, along with their conditioning and weight training. All three of these things were proven vital and rewarding this season as they started 2018 sitting at 6-0 dismantling their competition. Their first big test of the season was game 1 against the Licking Valley Panthers who beat the Generals by three points in the last seconds of the game. The Generals used that as motivation to take them out this season. They did just that, beating the Panthers 36-21.

The second test was game 7 against the Tri-Valley Scotties, both teams were 6-0 on the season; one of these undefeated teams would finally face their first defeat. The game was just how everyone predicted, a very close, hard battling, nail-biting, game. The Generals struggled most of the game trying to get their offense going, but they had their fair share of great plays on offense. Ultimately the Generals defense kept them in the game but with a struggling offense, the Generals fell short. They lost to the Scotties 20-19 in overtime, facing their first loss. There was some controversy to this loss as a field goal that appeared to go in for the Generals was waived off – a clear miscue by the referees. 

That loss hasn’t changed their goals as they are still looking to make a deep run in the playoffs and even state. Stay tuned and support the 2018 Sheridan Generals.